
Polly belongs to some friends of ours. The times we've visited, Polly has always been excellent with the kids, which of course caught my eye : ) I knew our friends had been looking for a home for her (they "only" have almost twenty other dogs, including a new litter of eight puppies), so I broached the subject, asking if she still needed a home. Next thing you know we were making plans to "borrow" Polly as a way of "trying her on" of sorts. So Polly arrived at our house Tuesday afternoon. So far, things are going great. Her first day here was a little disconcerting for her, I think. For the first time in her year of life she was away from her dog-mom and human-mom. Needless to say, this left her a little insecure. She attached herself to me like a white shadow even sitting on my feet while I tried to cook supper! The next day was pretty much the same; everywhere I went, Polly went too just like Mary and her Little Lamb!
The last two days have been much easier on her. She adores Harper, making sure to check on her whereabouts every so often and give her a big doggie-kiss. She's learning that underneath Robert's gruff appearance is a really just a boy who will give her a pat or belly-rub any time she wishes. Nicholas is a little more controversial to Polly's world. He's overly-exuberance about having a dog in the house and so badly wants Polly to come romp in the yard with him, something she's not quite comfortable doing just yet. But they'll figure out a means of co-existing. Just today Nicholas finally persuaded Polly to play a short game of tug-o-war. As for me, well, I feel like I've acquired a second shadow! Polly's favorite spot is underneath my computer desk when I'm sitting in my chair. Basically, wherever I stop to sit down for a little while, Polly appears : ) I like having a dog in the house again. I've missed that quiet companionship that my dog Boaz used to give.
Last night we decided to be brave and give Polly a bath. She wasn't too keen on the idea at first, but when she realized it was an excuse to get a good massage, she at least made an effort to tolerate it. Her coat was white and soft to begin with, but after a bath and drying off, she is literally GLEAMING and feels like a luxurious velvet blanket. We can't NOT pet her : )
Here she is sitting pretty in the backyard, keeping a sharp eye on the kids from a safe distance away...

Polly's multi-colored side, showing off her brown eye-patch...

Trying to look elegant while curiously sniffing the breeze...

If things continue to go as they have the last two days, Polly will most likely become a permanent member of our family : )


She's pretty cute! But not nearly as cute as ours. :)
ReplyDeleteI miss having a dog to sit on my feet. :( Peanut used to do that. :) Annie had too many people to follow around so she never chooses to sit on my feet unless I'm at the computer than she wants the lap. :)